How do I save energy in my business?
Businesses waste thousands of pounds a year on energy that is simply wasted. Some companies that allow energy related waste to haemorrhage their money, when simple changes can save heartache. Here’s our top 10 tips to save:
- Turn off non-essential office equipment when not in use. Even though you may be a need to leave some electrical equipment on at all times, most systems can be safely powered down, potentially saving a tidy sum. The best times to switch off are overnight, at weekends and during bank holidays if possible. Shutting down just one PC and screen could creep up to savings of around £30 a year.
- Cut lighting costs by as much as 15%. Turn lights off in empty rooms and replace bulbs with good quality energy saving ones. Consider utilising available natural light to avoid turning lights on at all.
- A dripping tap can cost your business around £400 per year. Thinking it’s okay to ignore a simple problem like this is simply throwing money away. A leaking tap is fixed in most cases by replacing a washer. Even replacing the whole unit is a quick job for a good plumber.
- Save approximately 4% of your profit with waste management techniques such as partnering with other businesses to recycle waste or selling it to be used as raw materials (cardboard, plastics, paper etc). Recycling food stuffs is now becoming popular as it is used to create natural gas.
- Save up to 8% on your premises’ heating bill by cranking the thermostat down one degree. Add to your savings with our cheap business electricity and business gas packages.
- Ask your suppliers about take-back schemes for unused products. You may be able to get your money back, or at least a portion of the cost refunded.
- Save up to 1 month’s worth of fuel over a year by driving slower, reducing unnecessary loads and keeping vehicles in good condition (servicing pool cars regularly etc).
- Invest in efficient equipment to cut your business energy and water costs. Government grants are available including interest-free energy efficiency loans delivered through the Carbon Trust.
- Refilling an ink jet cartridge costs less than half the price of a new one. To reduce printing costs further; use email or online chat where possible and set your PCs to print double-sided.
- Always publicise your commitment to reducing your environmental impact.
More than a third of UK consumers would favour recyclable products or those with minimal packaging. Call us now on our local number 01282 695565 to learn of more ways to save!